Chapter I – Pursuing Purpose
Finding Purpose in our lives
I’ll never forget the words of my most powerful mentor. Here was this business magnate CEO who built his consulting business around his own ethos in business and in life. He had a way with people, he could be both firm and gentle, shaking out awkward situations and smoothing them over with such grace. I marveled at how he could address any elephant in the room and yet make everyone feel perfectly safe and comfortable. I marveled at his ability to show strength in every situation and asked him, “How are you so confident”?
The source of confidence
In my mind, confidence meant asserting myself above others, but Mike put everyone on the same level. He could be totally transparent with what he wanted and consider what others wanted at the same time. When I asked how he could be so sure of himself, so deftly navigate this balance of asserting himself and deferring to others, this is what he told me:
“I am sure of myself in every moment because I know exactly who I am”. So while it might be easy to find our place by putting down others, there is certainly a more reliable formula for confidence. Confidence comes from having a purpose, knowing exactly what we are here to do.
How often do we find ourselves indecisive, depressed, or dependent on other’s opinions of us for our sense of purpose? To live like Mike, we must commit to finding a purpose that can’t be given to us by somebody else, it must come from deep within.
This isn’t a fluff Tony Robins motivational speech. This manifest doesn’t promise any sort of breakthrough, rather it is the scribblings of someone along the same journey, capturing those momentary windows of enlightenment and constructing what might be called a personal ‘frame’ to see the world. It is my hope that when the moment of clarity fades – the verses in these chapters can be consumed slowly and quietly to remind you of the magick that exists behind the everyday and the purpose in you it can unlock.
This manifest will speak to you if you've experienced
- Moments, or periods at at time fully engaged in the present moment, where you are 100% happy 100% peaceful yet 100% focused. This fleeting state of “flow” is always our goal.
- A sensation of “flow” while doing sports, practicing music, or other activities where you are thinking with nonverbal parts of your brain.
- Curiosity towards which habits and rituals assist you in keeping a spirit of present-ness.
- Daily fears and negative thoughts holding us back from present-ness.
- A desire, in fact a need to go deeper and live out a more intimate experience with your soul.
Pursuing Perspective – Manifest
- Chapter I – Purpose
- Chapter II – Wisdom
- Chapter III – Clarity